History of Palm Downtown Mortuary and Cemetery
For more than 80 years, Palm Mortuary has served the needs of families in Las Vegas and the surrounding area. Palm’s history begins in 1926, when Gene and Anna Parks opened the original Palm Mortuary location at First Street and Carson Avenue, near the current location of the Golden Nugget.
In 1946, Jerry Woodbury and Don DeVoe purchased the mortuary from the Parks family. In 1957, Palm Mortuary's headquarters was opened at 1325 North Main Street, the same site as its current main location.
The following year, in 1958, Palm built Southern Nevada's first mausoleum, The Building of Eternity. One year later, Charles Knauss became the major stockholder. Planning for the future growth within Southern Nevada, Palm purchased 20 acres in Henderson for a combination mortuary and cemetery, which opened in 1964. In 1967, H. E. Burton joined Palm and established the advance planning program.
Continued growth in the Valley led to the opening of Palm Green Valley Memorial Park in 1972. A new mortuary was unveiled on the property in February 1979. Palm's Boulder City Mausoleum was opened in 1983 on 12 acres. In 1986, Flowers by Palm was renamed Flower Fair and a new freestanding florist location was added at Oakey and South Jones Boulevard. In 1987, Palm opened its mortuary at South Jones Boulevard.
In response to the growth in the Northwest part of the Valley, Palm Cheyenne Mortuary opened its doors in March 1994. Soon thereafter, in July 1998, Palm Memorial Park - Northwest opened on 40 acres at Jones Boulevard and Deer Springs Road. The mortuary opened its doors at that location in 2005.
In December of 2009, Palm Mortuary, Inc. was purchased by an affiliate of Service Corporation International. We are now a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers, offering quality, value, caring service and exceptional customer satisfaction.